What is Junk Silver

Junk Silver is used to describe pre-1965 silver U.S. dimes, quarters, halves and dollar coins. These coins contain a whopping 90% pure silver and can be found in your pocket change.
With silver trading at record highs, now is the time to get into junk silver!


Junk Silver Dimes: Mercury Head Dime

Dimes are some of the most common junk silver coins available in random searches such as in pocket change, coin jars or piggy banks. The size of the dime has not changed in nearly a century and only the images have been redesigned twice during that time frame.

The Mercury Head Dime was minted from 1916 to 1945. It features the head of Mercury, a Roman god most commonly associated with floral delivery these days, while the reverse features a fasces, an ax surrounded by bundle of sticks and an olive vine.

While there are a few rare numismatic years, such as 1921, for the Mercury head dime, most years are considered common and collectors rarely have a hard time completing a set for each year the Mercury was minted.

What is more interesting to precious metal investors is that the Mercury head dime is 90% pure silver (the other 10% is copper). Investors like the Mercury dime because it is small and makes a highly portable form of silver wealth.

The Mercury head dime was replaced in 1945 with the Roosevelt dime which it remains to this day. Roosevelt dimes minted until 1964 are also 90% pure silver.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
Junk Silver Blog discusses junk silver, common date coins, junk silver dimes, junk silver quarters, pre-1964 silver coins, pre-1965 U.S. silver coins, silver investing, precious metals, silver, junk silver halves, mercury dimes, Roosevelt dimes, Franklin halves, junk silver investing, silver investments, Washington quarters, war nickels, silver nickels, Morgan dollars, Walking Liberty, spot silver price, spot silver, rising silver prices, junk silver spot, junk silver bags, face value bags, face value silver, junk silver face value